Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Let's junk libraries and buy everyone a kindle.

Says Tim Worstall of Forbes: "More titles, easier access and quite possibly a saving of public funds. Why wouldn’t we simply junk the physical libraries and purchase an Amazon Kindle Unlimited subscription for the entire country?"

What an idea! What a deep thinker! It's pure dollars and sense! Fire the librarians, tear down the libraries, and give all the money to AMAZON! After all, they know what to do with it, right? Let AMAZON be in charge of what the public reads from now on and into eternity! I trust them.

Business purists like Mr. Worstall are dummies in intellectual clothing. The only thing that matters to him is money. Forget after school and adult literacy programs, lecture series that are free and open to the public, literary events with guest authors, and the plain and simple public good of having a gathering place where people can read, think, research, and be together.

Forget the blow to the economy of all those millions of suddenly out of work librarians, who would now have far fewer places to tender their valuable skills. (And they are skilled. Very.) 

Oh wait! Mr Worstall has a solution! They can work at AMAZON!!

Forget the slap in the face to all those people who have dedicated themselves to the love of literature, and to the good of their communities. Forget the deep insult of devaluing them to the level of a portable reading device.

The fact that this guy has a national platform is honestly baffling.

What concerns me about this article isn't really the idea, which is ridiculous and obviously stupid. I'm more concerned about this trend of devaluing our public servants. If we devalue our teachers, then we devalue learning too. If we devalue librarians, we devalue literature and research. And do I have to point out that both these professions are populated largely by women? Is this a coincidence, or are suggestions like Mr. Worstall's just chauvinism in the guise of fiscal streamlining? 

I'm not providing a link to the FORBES article because it's probably click bait anyway. Instead I'll link to this blog piece by a NYC librarian that responds to Worstall's article rather hilariously:
http://magpielibrarian.wordpress.com/2014/07/20/sure-lets-close-the-libraries-and-just-get-everyone-an-amazon-kindle-unlimited-subscription/

If you love books, if you love your library like I do, you have to stand up for it. We all must defend our teachers and librarians, because they're under attack in a very real way.  Teachers and librarians are heroes on the front lines defending our crumbling society, trying to battle the forces that are destroying literature and love of learning. They deserve our utmost respect.

9 comments:

  1. YES! Tired of the 1% and those who fawn over them, such as Mr. Wormtail, I mean, Worstall, devaluing those in the service industries.

    One thing we are all forgetting to point out in this argument is his notion that there are more titles. Amazon has 600,000. Considering that 30 years ago I worked in a library with 1.5 million UNIQUE titles and the Library of Congress boasts 36 million, I think that Amazon's 'selection' is pretty paltry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dawn, you make a great point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawn makes an excellent point about who is going to teach users. I would like to add I wonder where is everyone going to charge up their Kindles and get wifi for free...without having to purchase a cup of coffee or something else in exchange for some charging time/electricity? Libraries are a haven for students, parents, individuals experiencing homelessness, business folks, tutors, and others who are on the go and cannot always get free and ready access to charging stations or wireless internet. Our library provides free charging and wifi and the place is packed with patrons using and charging devices of all kinds...including those low tech items called books. Often they borrow the books because not everyone wants to look at a screen all of the time.

    Public libraries continue to be the bridge between the haves and have-nots in society. We are there to provide as much access to information and entertainment as we can in safe, comfortable, and welcoming environments for everyone...all for the cost of a few bucks in taxes each year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another wonderful point Jean. I love hearing from librarians about this!

      Delete
  4. While I love my Kindle, I'm on the homestretch in library school, planning to graduate in December. The Forbes article tells me that we continue to need to do a better job of selling libraries and ourselves. Sad, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, outreach would probably help, but that seems an unfair burden on a public institution that makes no profit.

      Delete
  5. I started using our public library when I was 4 yrs old. The bookmobile & the brick & mortar building. I'm now 48 & use my library 3 or more times a week. From personal experience I would not have the education or knowledge I have if I didn't have a physical library. Now I mainly use my local eLibrary downloading audio books because of my disability, but if I can't find what I need I can go locally & they will get whatever I need. If I had to use Kindle Fire ie Amazon I would "burn"through my entire savings in just a few months. The library is more than just books, it's geared toward literacy. Starting our children young, with different programs designed to excite them about learning & reading. Let us not short change our children.
    Just a little side note our local politicians tried redirecting our library funds to pay for a new jail. I for one am grateful they were unsuccessful & we retained the funds necessary to maintain & grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, I feel the same way. I went to the library as a child frequently, and when I was old enough to go by myself I went every single day it was open. That's where I got homework done. My husband was the same way. He'd go to his library to read and relax, a safe place away from his cramped NYC apartment. The library is so important to so many people.

      Delete